Well, I can’t believe February came and went. It was a busy month, with my birthday and Valentine’s day. This month has already started off exciting with me and my boyfriend getting engaged! We are pretty excited, and I took a little personal time to celebrate and enjoy the moment, hence a little silence around here 🙂 So that’s what’s going on in my life! More below…
eating & drinking
- So many sweets. With my birthday and Valentine’s Day this month, I think it’s safe to say I may have gone a little overboard on chocolate. On that note, I discovered the best ever chocolate cupcake recipe and made the dreamiest tahini buttercream frosting to go with it. I’ll never need to make another chocolate cake recipe again.
- Veggie quinoa bowls. To balance out all the sweets, I suppose! One I made last week was quinoa, this lentil salad, roasted asparagus, sauteed zucchini, chickpeas, and a simple tahini dressing. Similar to this one, but with a little less lemon and a smidge of maple syrup.
- I LOVE sweet and savory salad combos, and when I saw this one from Spices in my DNA, I knew I had to make it. I did it with romaine lettuce, regular oranges since I can’t seem to find blood orange anymore (I take it as a positive sign that winter is almost over…), and of course with the optional pistachios and feta. I also made the chicken in my cast iron skillet, which I am obsessed with. Highly recommend them – it makes the perfect chicken.
- Every Saturday and Sunday, I always make eggs. I love slow breakfasts, and my obsession lately has been the one pictured above. I think it’s actually my favorite breakfast sandwich ever. Toasted bread, a layer of homemade hummus, sliced avocado, a sunny side up egg, chopped parsley, and cayenne pepper for a little kick. I am telling you, un. real.
- This chai tea concentrate my friend gifted me for my birthday. With my Nespresso, I’ve been making dirty chais and loving it!
- We’ve been getting little peaks of spring here, with warm 70 degree days interspersed with the more normal freezing days. Really it’s a love/hate relationship, since it makes me a little worried about global warming…
- All the commercials for Beauty and the Beast. That was by far my favorite childhood movie, and I am by no means a movie buff nor do I go to the movie theater much, but I will 100% go for this movie.
- We’re trying to plan a trip somewhere, potentially for April. Have you been to Cuba? We’re dying to check it out – the culture looks incredible, but I’ve heard the food is a little sub-par. Would love tips if you’ve been! And if you’re interested too, my pal, Abi, the Nutrition Traveller, wrote an amazing guide that I will sure to be following if we go.
- Seeing my family next weekend! I’m so excited to travel to South Carolina and experience another little taste of spring with my family.
- We went to New York the weekend of my birthday, and I had the best ramen I’ve ever had (note: I have never been to Japan) at a place called Ippudo. If you go, I highly recommend it, although the wait can be insane, so go on an off-time.
Ok, I’m realizing that in every category above, I’ve found some way to bring it back to food. Oh well. What can I say, I am a foodie at heart. Hope you have a great week!
Stay tuned for a recipe coming soon…